NOTICE

Herbaceous Babe is going to be a little less regular in the days to come as the author gets launched in her professional career. Keep checking back, because there's no telling when a new post will appear!

Monday, May 6, 2013

Flashback: Sauces and Spreads

So... remember the post back in January: Packed Lunch Ideas? Well, I'm beginning to realize just how essential sauces and spreads are to maintaining vegan sanity. My minimalist approach to plant-based cuisine has been kinda scraping by lately (again). Then it hit me: I hadn't made cashew cheese or hummus in an embarrassingly long time, and I couldn't remember the last time I had made dressing...


Both of these unceremoniously-displayed spreads are recipes from Practically Raw by Chef Amber Shea. The hummus was especially delicious with a very strong kick (due to my exceptionally large clove of garlic). The cheese... needs something (perhaps more nutritional yeast, maybe just some salt, I'm not sure...). Whatever the recipe, every vegan should have both of these in the fridge at all times, right next to some home-grown alfalfa sprouts.


These guys are beyond easy, and you can grow them as-needed and know they're always fresh. Just soak about a tablespoon of seeds in water overnight, drain in the morning, and rinse every 8-12 hours. For best results, store the jar upside-down so any excess moisture can drip through the wire-mesh lid.

Oh, and while we're at it, I just wanted to encourage the sushi-lovers to make this lemon-ginger dipping sauce. In fact, the entire recipe is fabulous, phenomenally better than my first attempt at Nori Rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment