NOTICE

Herbaceous Babe is going to be a little less regular in the days to come as the author gets launched in her professional career. Keep checking back, because there's no telling when a new post will appear!

Monday, February 18, 2013

Nori Rolls

The first time I made nori rolls, I thought, If I had known it was this easy, I'd have made it more often. They turned out perfect, and beautiful, and positively delicious.


Admittedly, I cheated a little. Instead of using the traditional vinegary sticky rice (that's what makes it "sushi"), I used basmati mixed with mashed avocado. Then I stuffed with red bell pepper, marinated mushroom, and lightly steamed asparagus - SO TASTY!

2/3c dry basmati rice
3c water
1 avocado, mashed
2 tsp lemon juice (I didn't measure, just squirted...)
2-4 thin stalks of asparagus, lightly steamed
red bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced and marinated*
2 sheets of nori

Cook rice in water and let cool uncovered (The second time I made it, I put the rice in the fridge with a lid, so the moisture couldn't escape. Bad choices.). Mix rice, avocado and lemon juice, then spread thinly on nori sheet (leave 1" bare on end farthest from you). Arrange vegetables along the 1/2 closest to you, then roll as tightly as possible. Wet the last inch slightly to seal. Cut roll into 1" segments (or slightly smaller if roll is thicker). Serve with Nama Shoyu (or equivalent) and sesame seeds. Eat with chopsticks.

I used 3c water to 2/3c rice, hoping it would make it stickier, but it didn't seem to make much difference....

My marinade was one of those "mad scientist" moments, where I just grabbed whatever looked good from the cupboard: liquid aminos, olive oil, sesame oil, and red wine vinegar (I think). 

I almost tried to make it without using a mat, but when I was at the store getting the avocado, I saw one and grabbed it - and I'm so glad I did! It helps evenly distribute the pressure while rolling, plus protects the nori from any moisture on your hands.

Between the two of us, we could have probably eaten 3 rolls easily, but we ran out of rice :)

Here's a link to a site that has a recipe and step-by-step pictures: http://www.colourfulpalate.com/2011/04/28/vegan-sushi/

Making sushi at home isn't fool-proof, but it's simple. And cheap. Even if your first few tries are miserable failures, chop up the nori roll, pull an Amber Shea and call it a de-constructed sushi bowl and hope for better luck next time. Because, let's face it, sushi is worth a "next time."

Bon appetit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment