NOTICE

Herbaceous Babe is going to be a little less regular in the days to come as the author gets launched in her professional career. Keep checking back, because there's no telling when a new post will appear!

Monday, September 25, 2017

Rainbow Curry

Look, I did a thing! Seriously people, this is probably THE prettiest thing I have ever cooked. Unfortunately, my photography game was not the best that day, but in real life, it looks (and tastes) as vibrant as it sounds.


This was the first time cooking for a certain significant human in my life, who is (happily) vegan, so I was out to impress. The purple cauliflower was the perfect surprise, and aesthetically, I think it pulls the dish together in a way that white cauliflower will never do.


Thai cuisine is the human's favourite, so that was my original plan, but the ready-made curry sauce that caught my attention was of the Indian variety. Pretty sure it would have worked either way.


Okay, so this recipe I have to approximate, because this may or may not have been two months ago:

  • 1 head purple cauliflower
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 3 orange carrots
  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 1 head bok choy
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1 package of thai basil

With the heat on medium, cut all the veggies into bite-sized pieces (except the carrots, which I peeled into ribbons; the garlic, which was minced; and the basil, which was "chiffonaded") and throw it in the pan as each veggie is done. When the cauliflower looks about half-done, add two cans (25oz total) of curry sauce. Reduce to a simmer until the sauce is warm enough.


The human is a weird sort of vegan and is "indifferent" to quinoa (weirdo), and neither of us particularly like rice. So I made quinoa, but I was the only one who ate it. You don't really need it, but if you believe that all Asian dishes must be served with rice, quinoa can be marketed as a guiltless complete protein (it's not all that much protein per serving, but it's there).

Want to know more about the difference between Thai and Indian curries? Anthony at YoExpert can tell you all about it! Click here.

Some of the other veggies I've considered throwing into a curry are below, though I'm sure there are others that could be used:

  • Eggplant (get the little chinese variety, they're less bitter)
  • Green Beans
  • Potato
  • Broccoli

No comments:

Post a Comment