NOTICE

Herbaceous Babe is going to be a little less regular in the days to come as the author gets launched in her professional career. Keep checking back, because there's no telling when a new post will appear!

Monday, December 17, 2012

Raw Fudge and Mousse

Have you ever thought you knew a recipe by heart - and been wrong? Yup, I've been there. It was mousse day without a decent avocado, so we opted for fudge and set some cashews to soak. A few hours later, I opened the uncook book and oh no!  This recipe called for almond butter and chopped walnuts... no cashews :(

I had a decision to make: make the recipe and save the cashews for later, find a recipe that did use cashews, or substitute. Well, since there weren't any walnuts in the house (and they're optional anyway), the choice was fairly easy.


After blending the nut butter, nuts, agave, and cocoa in the food processor, I pressed the mixture into a 9"x9" pan (lined with parchment) and left it to set in the refrigerator. But there were still more cashews! Well, when life gives you cashews... make mousse anyway.


About the time I started making the fudge, I peeled and froze some overripe bananas. If it makes a great base for "ice cream", why not mousse? I'll tell you, the cocoa has to battle the banana for flavour pre-eminence. The avocado, on the other hand, is cloaked rather nicely (though I would recommend pre-mashing to optimize sneakiness). The banana is still tasty, but I think next time I'll substitute with a slightly greener banana.

And now it's time for Feature Failure. This week's guest: GF Thumbprint Cookies.


GF flour is tricky business, and I knew even after an extra 1/4c applesauce that my all-purpose was too dry (the recipe calls for oat, almond, and tapioca flours). It wasn't even soft enough to make the necessary indentation - hence the volcanic appearance. If I just think of them as a savoury snack, they're not so bad.... That's what I told myself. Then they cooled, and not even the chickens could eat them. Oh well. I don't miss cookies that much anyway. At least, that's what I'll tell myself until I work up the courage to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment