NOTICE

Herbaceous Babe is going to be a little less regular in the days to come as the author gets launched in her professional career. Keep checking back, because there's no telling when a new post will appear!

Monday, October 22, 2012

Ratatouille

Smitten Kitchen is my favourite (non-vegan) cooking blog. Good reading. Good eating. And a dream come true.


Even before I became a vegan, before I really started cooking, I wanted to make ratatouille the way Remy and Linguine made it. Thin slices of courgette (zucchini), aubergine (eggplant), et poivron (pepper) snuggling in a bed of tomato puree infused with garlic, onion, and thyme... I was singing Le Festin almost the entire time it was in the oven.

Pre-bake picture

I highly recommend small variety eggplant - not just because it stacks better with the zucchini, but because they aren't as bitter. Large purple eggplants work well enough, but they have to be peeled and "sweated" first.

Mandolines are wonderful, but they always shred my eggplants :-( No matter how much confidence you lack, you can probably get a more uniform cut using a sharp knife.

Since all of my veggies were smaller than I'm used to, I doubled the recipe, making four people happy and one person unhappy (the 14-year-old was not a fan). 


It always surprises me how much vegans can eat. This was my optimistic first helping. The second was much bigger :)

No comments:

Post a Comment