NOTICE

Herbaceous Babe is going to be a little less regular in the days to come as the author gets launched in her professional career. Keep checking back, because there's no telling when a new post will appear!

Monday, November 19, 2012

Lentil "Meatballs"

Since becoming a vegan, I've lost my desire for animal products almost entirely. So when I start craving meatballs with potatoes and gravy, I get really confused.... Blame it on the fact that the holiday season is upon us, bringing with it the nostalgic awareness of how much I can't eat. But there is hope, for countless others who have gone before have emerged victorious with gluten-free, soy-free alternatives to the food we once loved!


Lentil "meatballs" over mashed sweet potatoes with a dollop of sweet onion gravy.

The lentil mixture I made up the day before. Make sure the lentils are quite soft and mash more than half of them to help the balls hold together. I didn't end up using any flour (gf or otherwise). The potatoes took about 10 minutes, the meatballs about 5 (cook time, after prep).

Second day, I cooked them closer to med-low for longer, as I waited for the rice, creating a crispier, more meat-like consistency, and they held their heat better to boot.


Honestly, the sweet potato and lentils were a bit of an odd couple (so why do I keep doing it??), and I would have preferred a smooth mushroom gravy instead of the onion. The braised broccoli and rice, however, complemented the "meatballs" incredibly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment